September 13, 2017
There have been some important developments with respect to the renovation of the Clarke Swim Center at Heather Farm.
In July 2017, the Walnut Creek City Council reallocated $12.8 million in surplus funds to an irrevocable trust to secure employee pensions. $5 million of these funds had been earmarked toward the renovation of the Clarke Swim Center. City staff states they remain “committed to the highest possible experience for the aquatics community” and that while they don’t have the funds to replace the Clarke Swim Center now, they intend to invest in the swim center to “sustain Clarke for the foreseeable future.”
On September 6, 2017, City staff presented a Critical Infrastructure Study in which it recommended that the Clarke Swim Center be rebuilt. Staff also recommended rebuilding or renovating the Civic Park Community Center, Heather Farm Community Center, and Shadelands Art Center.
The City Council has directed staff to perform a comprehensive review of programming and usage of these facilities and has asked for this to be presented at their retreat on October 24, 2017. The City Council will use this information to determine what kinds of facilities are needed in the future.
It is imperative that we as a community make it clear to the City that we support a renovation of the Clarke Swim Center that includes a 50-meter pool and a facility large enough to maintain current usage and programming. At this time, the City is not making decisions about costs or how to fund future renovations, it is setting goals for the facilities it wants for the future.
How can you help?
- Sign the WCAF petition at https://wcaquatics.org/petition/.
- Let City Council know that you support a renovation of the Clarke Swim Center that includes a 50-meter pool and that will support current programming and usage. Email Mayor Rich Carlston at email@example.com.
- Join the Walnut Creek Aquatic Foundation Facebook group and follow us on Twitter at https://twitter.com/wcaqf.
- Tell your friends about WCAF and why a 50-meter pool is important for Walnut Creek. Invite them to visit our web site at www.wcaquatics.org.
- If you work in the media, or have a connection with someone who does, please email your media contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your support of aquatics!
Mike Heaney, Walnut Creek Aquatic Foundation President